Sex therapy is a form of talk therapy that involves the therapist working with an individual or a couple in an office setting. Sex therapists frequently treat clients with desire, arousal, performance, and satisfaction issues. They also counsel patients who have experienced sexual trauma or abuse, or who are struggling with sexual orientation issues, sexual pain, or sexual compulsions.
Certified sex therapists are mental health professionals who are have undergone specialised training in treating clients with sexual issues and concerns.
Therapeutic goal of this treatment is to assist people in gaining a deeper understanding of their own sexuality and how it affects their lives and their relationships. The process of sex therapy can help individuals and couples learn how to communicate their sexual needs and desires to deepen their sexual lives. With a more fulfilling sex life, you can have a more satisfying quality of life overall.
What kinds of problems can sex therapy help address?
• Establishing realistic sexual goals for yourself and your relationship
• Intimacy and communication issues effecting your sexuality
• Feeling bored with your sex life
• Coping with illness and its effects on sexuality
• Loss of interest in sex
• Difficulty performing during sex
• Problems with orgasm
• History of sexual abuse
• Sexual addiction or compulsion
• Pain during sex
• Discomfort with your body image
• Coping with changes in your body and sexual life as you age
• Sex after giving birth
• Difficulty relaxing and enjoying sex
• Having questions about your sexual orientation
• Coping with a sexually transmitted disease
• Questions about sex and you don’t know who to ask